As anyone who reads this is no doubt already aware, Michelle and I are now engaged. Here's the story.
Michelle and i had been planning on doing a winter trip to her family's cabin (as seen in posts from Labor Day and 4th of July weekends) for ice skating on the lake and sledding and what not. Really the plan the whole time was to propose up there, but i had to at least come up with an excuse to make the long trek up there. Well, after some haggling in the diamond district (seen below) on president's day, and working long and odd hours so i could get work off early, i was finally able to get the ring that friday (which was a huge relief because at the beginning of the week i figured it would work out and planned the trip for that weekend accordingly).
View Larger Map
We got a later start than planned Saturday, and didn't get up to the cabin until about 4. we found the lake to be utterly uniceskateable due to the depth of snow and uneven surface, so instead of ice skating we just played around and, i don't know ...frolicked? (is there a way to frolic and still look manly? if so that's what i was doing. probably). I was a lot more nervous than i expected to be, so i would've liked to put off the moment at least a little longer, but after not too long it was clear we were going to run out of things to do. So i just did it. I don't want to give you all the mushy details, but there was a bit of a speech, one knee, and a box with a ring in it. And a "yes".

Without getting too sentimental, let me just say briefly that the reason I chose the cabin and lake for the setting of my proposal is because it's where i first started really falling for Michelle, when she invited me up there for Independence Day weekend. And I'm so glad i did there. It was beautiful. It happened almost just like i had imagined it.
I'm very fortunate it all worked out: being able to get the ring in time, the beautiful weather, her Uncle John letting us stay at his place that night, and being able to somehow veil my real plans enough that Michelle was at least a little surprised (THAT wasn't easy. she was onto me the whole time).
I'm also very fortunate that she said yes. We're both really excited and can't wait for Sept. 12th to get here.
6 comments:
i wondered...
that's so great! congrats!
I'm soooo happy for you. You were right! It does just take one! You and Michelle seem so great with each other.
Thanks for the blog. I'm so excited for you, too! Her ring looks very pretty.
Congrats Mike and Michelle! I really like that ring. I'd bet Michelle probably loves the fact that you can frolic and still be manly about it.
Yes! Good job Mike. M^2 Anderson. That sounds fantastic. Congratulations to a lovely couple.
Post a Comment