Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Recent Flicks

The Proposal

First let me say in my defense that Michelle and I have be feeling the hunger left us by the dearth of good movies this summer, especially in the last month or so. Which is how we found ourselves at this one.

I had pretty low expectations: a few good laughs throughout a predictable story. That's pretty much what I got too. I had a good time, but not one i need to repeat.



Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I got really into these books after the seeing the first two movies, and since then the movies have all been major disappointments. The main reasons for this (i think) were as follows:

- I don't love or even like some of the main characters. Dumbledore especially has bothered me. He often seems grumpy and short-tempered in the movies.

- Awkward dialogue (bad acting or bad writing, i don't know).

- They sometimes drag out unimportant things and not leaving enough time for things i consider much more important to the plot.

This time around i think they improved a lot on the first two area, and maybe slightly improved on the third. so i liked it much better than i have for a long time.

3 comments:

7aura7 said...

I can't believe the famine of good movies lately! Glad to see we're not the only ones who feel that way.
I was pleasantly surprised with the 5th movie, so I'm happy to hear they're continuing to improve. We watched "Clueless" last night on your past recommendation to Dave, and we liked it! Thanks!

kristi said...

I haven't seen the latest HP, but one of my major problems with the movies has been Dumbledore. He's such a different character in the book, so much more endearing.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Dumbledore improved in this one. still not amazing, but passable.