Monday, November 10, 2008

I'm a nerd

I am, in my choice of reading material, quite nerdy. Most my favorite books fall under the SciFi Fantasy genre. I make no apology for my tastes that happen to fall in the realm geekiness any more than i do for those that fall closer to trendiness or pop culture (which many consider to be the more serious offense). I should like to think that i can judge a thing to be good or not based on its merits alone. (I will not, however, claim to be indifferent to others' opinions. the very fact that i feel the need here to explain my tastes is evidence to the contrary. but the desire is not for agreement so much as for understanding.) Even so, for reasons i still don't fully understand, there's something disagreeable to me in the general nerdiness of much of the sci fi/fantasy genre, which makes me hesitant to branch out to include as of yet unfamiliar authors in my bookshelf. But in my desperation for something new to read, i came across an author i found myself wanting to like .

So I started on the first book of the Mistborn trilogy, his most recent work. Right from the start i could tell it would be as i feared. Nerdy in the extreme. the names and terms seemed like something forced out of someone's imagination rather than something molded from traditions and history. and it seemed to be a story made to be the background for a computer game, both because of the system of "magic" and the overall plot.

And yet, somehow i was drawn into this fabricated world. After finishing the first book, i couldn't wait to start the second, and after the second, the third. The above things i listed as flaws were present throughout the trilogy, but I loved it nonetheless. I'm not sure, but i think what made this story irresistable to me was action and suspense. Somehow Sanderson is able to describe action sequences in enough detail that i could picture the events vividly, but not so much detail that the scene gets bogged down with it. As far as suspense goes, i'm not enough of a literary critic, nor did i pay enough attention at the time to suggest what devices he used to achieve it, but i do know that the plot completely and relentlessly sucked me in.

So, if you need a book to read and have a decently high tolerance for nerdiness, i say give Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson a try.


just as an illustration of the nerdiness of the author, i've included the following video:


2 comments:

Kerry said...

ahh, but you are an intentionally funny cute nerd. Not a socially oblivious nerd. There is a difference!

kristi said...

Speaking of nerds, have you seen the deleted scenes from The Office last season's finale? One of them with Dwight made me laugh so hard. "Enough of your magic riddles!" If you haven't seen it, go find it on NBC.com.