Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sandy Hook

This Saturday we (Michelle, Ellie, Julia, Randy, and I) went down the shore (that what people in NJ say instead of “to the beach”). Why the Jersey shore instead of an NY beach? Well, you get there by boat instead of train, which is cool. Apparently it’s cleaner and less crowded. Some in our group wanted a change of scene. I’ve never been to a Long Island beach though, so don’t ask me to compare.

The day started with Randy Michelle and me going to the church to help with Saturday clean up, then we jumped in a cab and cruised down to pier 11 on Wall st. to meet the others. The boat ride was pretty cool, if a little crowded. (If you’re thinking about making this voyage yourself, I recommend catching the ferry at 33rd st. instead. You’ll get a better spot on the boat.)

The beach was a few minutes walk from the dock

We found the beach to be clean and uncrowded, so that was nice. I would’ve liked a bit bigger waves, and fewer jellyfish. That would’ve made the water a bit more fun to play in I think. The jellyfish stings weren’t excruciating, but enough to keep us from swimming too long. I’ve been trying to figure out what kind they were. From what I can see they could’ve been Sea Nettles or Lion’s Main Jellyfish (though not the huge kind). The ones I saw looked a lot more like the lion’s main, but those sound like they hurt worse than what I got, so maybe not. At one point though I was in the water about waist deep and Randy told me there was one right behind me. Curiosity was my fist impulse, and I turned to look (I got a good look. It was clear on the outside with a brownish red inside the bell. I was looking down on it so I couldn’t see the shape), only to find it RIGHT next to me, and an wave was just about to push it right on me. So of course I screamed like a little girl and dove out of the way.

Most the rest of the time was spent just relaxing on the beach.
Overall it was a pretty fun excursion. Next week is Jones Beach, so I’ll have something to compare it to.

No comments: