Anyway, remember this? As i suspected at the time, this was the last time seeing my car.
Yesterday the charity i donated my car to finally sent a truck to take my car from the shop who took it from the above gas station parking lot. I was of course a little sad to see it go that day, but i think it was it's time. It served me well and did what i needed it to do while i needed it to do it.
...
It was spring, 2006 when i found myself need of a car (the demise of my previous car is another story entirely). I didn't have much money to spend, but I found an Acura running splendidly well and only $2000. So i bought it, and right away drove it up to Portland, OR for an internship. I was a little concerned about it's mechanical integrity, but it made the 800 + mile journey out there, the 50 mile daily commute for 3 months, and the return journey with relative easy. When i moved east in August of that same year, i left the car with my family, who put it to good use on a daily basis. About a year later i decided i needed my car once again, so i flew home for thanksgiving and drove the car back here. It made the journey flawlessly (about 2200 miles), and i wasn't going easy on it (i had a radar detector). Then i had a daily commute of about 50 miles for the next 7 months or so. After that i started carpooling with a couple coworkers (due to the ever increasing price of my solo commute) and the Acura was put out to pasture (actually, my work parking lot), only used for the occasional grocery run during lunch. i would've considered selling it if i thought it was worth anything to someone other than me. Then i took it on one final trip, and said goodbye in Saugerties, NY.
...
So far i feel like i'm adjusting to post-car life pretty well. The car pool is saving me about $300 a month, and doesn't really add much time to my commute. And I found out i may get a corporate discount at enterprise for those weekend get-aways.
So far i feel like i'm adjusting to post-car life pretty well. The car pool is saving me about $300 a month, and doesn't really add much time to my commute. And I found out i may get a corporate discount at enterprise for those weekend get-aways.



3 comments:
Your carpool group would make a great car ad-- very PC.
we probably should get a Hispanic woman to join us, just to be safe.
I used to have the enterprise corporate account. Its not really a discount. Maybe you get a free upgrade or something, if I'm remembering correctly... but ya, prob the better way to go. Then we could rent whatever size vehicle needed for the trip.
Post a Comment